Monday, November 23, 2009

Day Eight: See a Stage Production of Hamlet on Broadway

I saw Hamlet on Broadway yesterday (yesterday by about ten minutes, whatever), accomplishing goal #5 on my list. I can't even describe how amazing it was. First off, it's my favorite Shakespeare play. One of my favorite plays ever (second favorite, to be exact, after that other play about Hamlet...ish, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead by Tom Stoppard).

Jude Law was freaking incredible. I’ve never not been a fan of his; I’ve liked him in pretty much everything I’ve seen him in, which is a fair amount, but oh my god he was glorious. I fell a little bit in love, haha.

Also, I really like being into British stuff because I recognized a guy who was in Hot Fuzz, “Little Dorritt” and “The Idiot’s Lantern,” and someone who was in “Meat” (Torchwood). And Tish Jones (Martha’s sister on Doctor Who) played Ophelia! Oh and Gibbs from PotC played Claudius, but Pirates isn’t really a British thing per se. I love recognizing people from other roles.

But it was so good. I was blown away by Jude Law’s performance, and by the performances of all of the other actors. I wasn’t very impressed by Ophelia initially, but once she went insane she pulled out all the stops and was great. I liked the stage design a lot, very minimal but with great lighting.

The theater it was at was the Broadhurst, which is where I saw Equus, so I knew where the good seats were, so we had a good view. I really enjoyed it, and so did my mother, who took me as an early Christmas present because she is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment