Sunday, November 15, 2009

Day One: Starting Off

So, this is my first update of what will surely be many more. After seeing a couple people do this on LiveJournal, I decided to make a list of my own. Erin saw it and decided to do one as well, and we figured we’d work on our lists together so we could encourage each other not to wimp out. You can find my posts on the label called Lauren, unsurprisingly. And my masterlist is here.

To begin, on this first day of the 1001 days, I thought I’d make some comments on a few of the goals I have listed as in-progress:

5. See a stage production of Hamlet: I strongly hinted to my mother that tickets to see Hamlet, my favorite play by Shakespeare, on Broadway would make an excellent Christmas present. So she’s taking me during Thanksgiving break. Fact: I have an awesome mother.

20. Watch all seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer: There is nothing about this show that doesn’t appeal to me-- supernatural creatures, kick-ass chicks, hot guys, and Joss Whedon. Why it took me so long to start watching, I don’t know, but I’m glad I’ve finally gotten around to beginning.

23. Learn Italian: I have always been very interested in languages. I studied Spanish in elementary school and then again in middle school and high school, but I’ve always wanted to learn Italian, so I started studying it in college this year. I’ve registered for Italian II for the spring semester.

54. See a taping of The Colbert Report: This one was just dumb luck. I’ve seen The Daily Show, and I got tickets to see that again with my partner-in-crime here in January, but tickets to see tapings of The Colbert Report are notoriously hard to come by. I check on Colbert Nation every once in a while, but have never had any luck. Until tonight. Just a few hours after I added this goal to my list, I looked at the website and saw a few days open over winter break. So Erin and I jumped at the chance.

And here are four goals I’m particularly excited to accomplish:

3. Participate in NaNoWriMo: I’ve always been in awe of people who participate in and accomplish the 50,000-word goal of National Novel Writing Month. To keep working at that non-stop for an entire month? Crazy. And I’ve always wanted to do it, but never had the time. In the next 1001 days, I’ll make the time.

37. Learn five ways to cook tofu: It is a little ridiculous that I’ve been a vegetarian for almost five years and still the only methods of cooking tofu that I know are “throw it in a pan and bake it,” “throw it on the grill and grill it,” and “throw it on the stove and stir fry it.” So I’m going to change that and learn some new tofu dishes.

74. Go to a haunted place: A lot of places have ghost stories. In the area of Pennsylvania where I live, we are within a few hours (or, in some cases, a few minutes) of historical sites like Washington Crossing, Gettysburg, and Philadelphia. As such, we have no shortage of ghost stories. However, I’d like to visit somewhere that is known specifically for it’s paranormal activity.

85. Give five random compliments to strangers: I always see people with cool outfits or awesome hair that I want to compliment, but I feel like they’ll think “Who is that weird girl?” But next time (well, the next five times, at least), I’ll actually say something.

So that’s the plan. 101 Goals in 1001 Days. Wish me luck!

Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment